ACRL is now selling a three-volume set of Academic Library Trends and Statistics for 2012. A few sample stats are below!
- 7.3%: Increase in spending on collection materials from 2011
- 64.8%: Percentage of collection materials budget spent on ongoing resources (incl. subscriptions)
- 3.7%: Increase in library expenditures for salaries and wages from 2011
- 76% of all academic libraries reported using social media
- Top 3 social media platforms: Facebook, blogs, and Twitter
The top three reasons for using social media:
- promotion of library services
- marketing of events
- community building.
Why do the other 24% NOT use social media? Some answers can be found in ACRL Instruction Section’s Tips & Trends September issue. It can be difficult for library staff to keep up with the technology, or they may feel uncomfortable interacting with students over social media.
Have you found any of these trends applicable to your library?